"After a hard day's work diggin' up the sod, we're ready for chow."

Welcome to our class's blog. We are discussing the latest topics we're studying in American history and literature. This website has been active since December 2005. Selected Excel 10 students will take turns posting their thoughts, and other Excel 10 students will comment on these posts. Parents, staff, and other interested persons are invited to add their comments on our musings. Any inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Family Relations and The Future

Over these past few days while reading My Antonia, I began to think about how they all had such close family ties with each other. As I thought about it more, I decided that the family ties seem to be much less than they were in the past. I know that I talk to my distant relatives often and stay in touch a lot with my close ones. I believe that family ties are very important in today's society. What do you think?

Also reading the last book in My Antonia, I also started to wonder what I will do in 20 years - if I was to reunite with one of my close friends.
- Will I act the same as Jim did?
- Will you try to keep in touch with your friends 20 years from now?
I mean I know most people will say, yes of course, but really think about it, I mean it will be 20 years from now, will you even think about your old friends? This book, unlike others that I have read, had me thinking and relating to the characters a lot because I could imagine myself in Jim's shoes at certain points. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way as I did, reading this novel and what specific points could you relate to?

Michael L.

editor's note: This is a picture of a couple of guys I found on the Internet - they look like old friends. The picture is meant to invoke an image of you and a good friend getting together 20 years later...ya know, when you're older. Like 35 or something.

No comments: